FEBT is an all-volunteer organization. We depend on our volunteers for most activities of the organization, including restoration, events, governance, and outreach.
While volunteering means many different things to our members, this is what we hear most:
1. We are a welcoming organization that serves as a great starting point for anyone looking to get started in rail preservation or be connected to industrial history.
2. We provide hands-on experience with tools for learning invaluable construction and DIY techniques.
3. We provide the feeling of satisfaction knowing that you are helping to preserve a beloved piece of American history.
How to Start Volunteering
New to volunteering with us? Wondering where your talents can be most helpful? Tell us about yourself by completing our skills inventory and sending it back to us. If you wish to speak with one of us directly about volunteering, please include your phone number and the best time to call.
The skills Inventory can be filled out on right on your computer and emailed to FEBT, but it must be opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader, not in your web browser.
FEBT restoration volunteers provide hands-on work to preserve and restore the historic assets of the East Broad Top. This includes structures, equipment, track, and site maintenance. Great strides have been made in the condition of the railroad’s physical plant due to the efforts of our restoration crews. Crews work primarily out of Rockhill Furnace and Robertsdale.
Rockhill Furnace restorations sessions for 2020 are:
- January 11-12
- February 8-9
- March 14-15
April 4-5Cancelled due to COVID19 May 16-17Cancelled due to COVID1 May 18-22 – Full Week of RestorationCancelled due to COVID1
- June 13-14
- July 11-12
- August 1-2
- August 22-23
- September 12-13
- November 7-8
The Robertsdale crew works to further restoration of the Rockhill Iron and Coal Company Post Office and the EBT Station, both of which are owned by FEBT. Work session times are 9:30-4 each day.
2020 Robertsdale restoration session dates:
- March 7-8
- March 21- 22
- April 4- 5
- April 18-19
- May 2-3
- May 16-17
- June 6-7
- June 20-21
- July 18-19
- August 1-2
- August 15-16
- September 5-6
- September 19-20
- October 3-4
- October 17-18
All FEBT events are coordinated and run by volunteers. A variety of roles are needed for each event, many of which only require a willingness to volunteer.
For any questions, feel free to contact us.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
To remain successful and grow, FEBT has many other facets that require volunteers. At any given moment, opportunities for interested and skilled volunteers are available in one of the following areas;
- Company Store Operations – new product development, and website maintenance may be needed. Contact the Company Store manager for further information.
- Collections Digitization – Volunteers to help digitize the FEBT photograph collection are needed. Contact Bill Adams for more information.
- Robertsdale Museum – Staffing the Robertsdale museum when work sessions are not scheduled is needed. Contact the Robertsdale Museum and Restoration coordinator to volunteer.
- Web and Social Media – Developing communications and gathering relevant news, compiling it and coordinating with the leadership for review and distribution via our website, Facebook and Twitter presence. Contact our Webmaster for more info.
- Awareness – You can also volunteer to represent the FEBT at train shows and other community events to raise awareness and spread news about us.
- Operations – If you have special skills that support FEBT operations, including legal, financial, investment, tax and grant writing skills, please contact Lawrence Biemiller to volunteer your services.