FEBT is an all-volunteer organization. We depend on our volunteers for most activities of the organization, including restoration, events, governance, and outreach.
While volunteering means many different things to our members, this is what we hear most:
1. We are a welcoming organization that serves as a great starting point for anyone looking to get started in rail preservation or be connected to industrial history.
2. We provide hands-on experience with tools for learning invaluable construction and DIY techniques.
3. We provide the feeling of satisfaction knowing that you are helping to preserve a beloved piece of American history.
How to Start Volunteering
New to volunteering with us? Wondering where your talents can be most helpful? Tell us about yourself by completing our skills inventory and sending it back to us. If you wish to speak with one of us directly about volunteering, please include your phone number and the best time to call.
The skills Inventory can be filled out on right on your computer and emailed to FEBT, but it must be opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader, not in your web browser.
FEBT restoration volunteers provide hands-on work to preserve and restore the historic assets of the East Broad Top. This includes structures, equipment, track, and site maintenance. Great strides have been made in the condition of the railroad’s physical plant due to the efforts of our restoration crews. Crews work primarily out of Rockhill Furnace and Robertsdale.
Rockhill Furnace restorations sessions for 2021 are:
- January 8, 9, 10
- February 20, 21
- March 13, 14
- April 10, 11
- May 1, 2
- May 22, 23
- May 24-28 work week
- June 12, 13
- July 10, 11
- July 31, August 1
- August 21, 22
- September 4, 5
- September 20-24 work week
- November 6, 7
Robertsdale was the heart of the coal mining operations that supported the railroad. At least 10 mines operated in the area and all coal was shipped out on the EBT.
The Robertsdale crew works to further restoration of the Rockhill Iron and Coal Company Post Office and the EBT Station, both of which are owned by FEBT. Work session times are 9:30-4 each day.
2021 Robertsdale restoration session dates:
- Robertsdale restoration session are currently schedule on an as-needed basis until the reopening of the museum. Watch our News page for announcements of upcoming sessions.
All FEBT events are coordinated and run by volunteers. A variety of roles are needed for each event, many of which only require a willingness to volunteer.
For any questions, feel free to contact us.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
To remain successful and grow, FEBT has many other facets that require volunteers. At any given moment, opportunities for interested and skilled volunteers are available in one of the following areas;
- Company Store Operations – new product development, and website maintenance may be needed. Contact the Company Store manager for further information.
- Collections Digitization – Volunteers to help digitize the FEBT photograph collection are needed. Contact Bill Adams for more information.
- Robertsdale Museum – Staffing the Robertsdale museum when work sessions are not scheduled is needed. Contact the Robertsdale Museum and Restoration coordinator to volunteer.
- Web and Social Media – Developing communications and gathering relevant news, compiling it and coordinating with the leadership for review and distribution via our website, Facebook and Twitter presence. Contact our Webmaster for more info.
- Awareness – You can also volunteer to represent the FEBT at train shows and other community events to raise awareness and spread news about us.
- Operations – If you have special skills that support FEBT operations, including legal, financial, investment, tax and grant writing skills, please contact Lawrence Biemiller to volunteer your services.