FEBT is an all-volunteer organization. We depend on our volunteers for most activities of the organization, including restoration, events, governance, and outreach.
While volunteering means many different things to our members, this is what we hear most:
1. We are a welcoming organization that serves as a great starting point for anyone looking to get started in rail preservation or be connected to industrial history.
2. We provide hands-on experience with tools for learning invaluable construction and DIY techniques.
3. We provide the feeling of satisfaction knowing that you are helping to preserve a beloved piece of American history.
If you are interested in volunteering For any questions, feel free to contact us.
FEBT restoration volunteers provide hands-on work to preserve and restore the historic assets of the East Broad Top. This includes structures, equipment, track, and site maintenance. Great strides have been made in the condition of the railroad’s physical plant due to the efforts of our restoration crews. Crews work primarily out of Rockhill Furnace and Robertsdale.
Rockhill Furnace restorations sessions for 2020 are:
- January 11-12
- February 8-9
- March 14-15
- April 4-5
- May 16-17
- May 18-22 – Full Week of Restoration
- June 13-14
- July 11-12
- August 1-2
- August 22-23
- September 12-13
- November 7-8
The Robertsdale crew works to further restoration of the Rockhill Iron and Coal Company Post Office and the EBT Station, both of which are owned by FEBT. Work session times are 9:30-4 each day.
2019 Robertsdale restoration session dates:
- May 4-5
- May 18-19
- June 1-2
- June 15-16
- July 6-7
- July 20-21
- August 3-4
- August 17-18
- September 7-8
- September 21-22
All FEBT events are coordinated and run by volunteers. A variety of roles are needed for each event, many of which only require a willingness to volunteer.
For any questions, feel free to contact us.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
To remain successful and grow, FEBT has many other facets that require volunteers. At any given moment, opportunities for interested and skilled volunteers are available in one of the following areas;
- Volunteers for Company Store operations, new product development, and website maintenance may be needed. Contact the Company Store manager for further information.
- Volunteers to help digitize the FEBT photograph collection are needed. Contact Bill Adams for more information.
- Staffing the Robertsdale museum when work sessions are not scheduled is needed. Contact the Robertsdale Museum and Restoration coordinator to volunteer.
- Developing communications and gathering relevant news, compiling it and coordinating with the leadership for review and distribution via our website and Facebook presence.
- You can also volunteer to represent the FEBT at train shows and other community events to raise awareness and spread news about us.
- If you have special skills that support FEBT operations, including legal, financial, investment, tax and grant writing skills, please contact Lawrence Biemiller to volunteer your services.